- 2/3 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups raspberries (fresh or frozen; can also substitute other berries)
- Zest of one lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the cream cheese and butter together in a large bowl, then beat with a mixer on high speed until well-blended.
- Add the sugar to the mixing bowl and beat until fluffy; then, add the vanilla, egg whites, and egg and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then, gradually add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the cream cheese mixture while beating on low speed. Make sure to start and end with the flour mixture.
- Gently fold the raspberries and lemon zest into the cream cheese mixture.
- Place 24 cup liners in muffin cups, then spoon the batter evenly into the liners. Bake them for about 25 minutes, and test them with a toothpick in the center to make sure it comes out clean. (If not, let them bake for a few more minutes.)
- Remove the muffins from the pans and let them sit on a cooling rack for several minutes before serving.