8 slices bacon
butter, for greasing pan
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 + 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
4 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper or 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
1 cup shredded extra sharp white cheddar, plus more for sprinkling over top
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Drain off the grease leaving 1-2 tablespoons behind. Add onion and cook over medium-low heat until soft and tender 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400° degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners or grease lightly with butter.
- In a smallish bowl lightly whisk buttermilk, olive oil and egg together.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and soda, salt and red pepper. Make a well in the center and add milk mixture, stir until just moist.
- Crumble the bacon and mix in half of it with the onion and cheese. Divide equally among baking cups filing about 3/4 of the way full. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining bacon and additional cheese if desired.
- Bake 13-16 minutes or until a toothpick in center comes out with a few moist clingy crumbs. Remove muffins from pan and cool on wire racks.