- 3/4 cup or 175 g softened butter
- 3/4 cup or 175 ml milk
- 1 cup or 200 g regular sugar
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- Grated Zest and Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 3 Tablespoons Poppy Seeds
- 1 3/4 cups or 225 g Plain / All purpose flour (sieved)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat oven to 160 C, Gas 3, 300 F. Grease and line your baking tin.
- Get all your ingredients ready, i.e sieve the flour, and add the salt and baking powder to the flour etc.
- Start with making the cake batter by creaming the butter and sugar until a pale light colour.
- Slowly add the beaten eggs to the mixer, on a low speed setting, a bit at a time. If the mixture starts to curdle or split, add a spoonful of your sieved flour, keep on adding the eggs, and a bit of flour if necessary, until all the eggs are added. Add the lemon Juice, zest and poppy seeds.
- Add half the milk with half of the flour, keeping the mixer on a slow speed. Once combined, add the remaining milk and gently fold in the remaining flour until combined.
- Transfer the cake mixture to the greased and lined loaf tin. Then place in the oven for 1 hr to 1 hr and 5 minutes.
- *** Please do test if the cake is done by using a skewer and poke it in the middle to see that it comes out clean. Every oven is different and cook times may vary a little.
- Have a cup of tea!
- When the cake is done, take it out of the oven and leave in the cake tin until cool enough to transfer to a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool. Store in an airtight container.