- 1 (1/4 oz) package active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour, plus more
- 3 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- Using a mixer, add 1 cup warm water, yeast, and 1/2 tsp granulated sugar, mix to dissolve and let sit 10 minutes.
- Put the whisk attachment onto the mixer and add in remaining sugar (1 Tbsp + 2 1/2 tsp), brown sugar, vegetable oil, and salt.
- With mixer on low, slowly add in bread flour and mix well.
- Switch to the hook attachment and gently add in all purpose flour. Knead mixture on low until the dough is smooth, elastic, and slightly sticky. (You can add up to 1/4 cup more flour to reach consistency).
- Transfer to a buttery bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to rest in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
- After it has rested, preheat oven to 425 degrees and punch the dough and divide into 4 equal portions.
- Lightly add flour so the dough won’t stick to the surface your working on, and roll out each section into a rope about 25-28 inches long.
- Cut into bite size pieces.
- Pour hot water and baking soda into a bowl and whisk to dissolve.
- Using a slotted spoon, dip a few pieces of dough into the water mixture, then lift and let water drip off, then transfer to a silpat lined baking sheet.
- Repeat that process until baking sheet it full, rewarming the water in between batches.
- Bake for 8 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Remove from oven, dip into melted butter, toss to coat, and let excess drip off.
- Transfer to plate and while they sit, they will absorb the butter.
- To make Cinnamon-Sugar Pretzel Bites, then you have one more step.
- In a small bowl, mix together granulated sugar & cinnamon until well blended.
- Dip butter coated pretzel bites into cinnamon sugar mixture and toss to coat.